Wednesday, August 16, 2023

An Innocent Forbidden Act

For those who may want to judge me or my parents, due to me stating in my last two blog posts, that we had a Ribes plant in the 1960s; I am sure that my parents did not plant it there. It was on our almost 300 year old farm and was not in the gardens. I had actually, just by chance, found it. It was very obviously growing wild in and around a stone wall under other plants. I noticed the pretty little red berries, after the frost had killed the leaves around it. I asked my father about it and he looked at it and told me they were edible. I remember sitting there on the stone wall, with my father, eating the berries.
   Judging by the pictures I've seen, it was a Ribes Triste. Reports say that the berry is very sour or bitter, but this was not the case with these. Perhaps the Ribes triste berry needs to experience a frost or two before becoming sweeter. I loved the berries. I actually deeply feel a special connection to these little Ribes plants. Intuitively, I feel that they are VERY important parts of our history, which needs to be restored. Please read the previous two articles on them.

The Forbidden Ribes Triste
copyright 8-16-2023 Sharon R. Poet

It felt special even before it was forbidden -
Those little red berries partially hidden.
Its a special memory in the few I've had.
It was a moment of pleasure with my Dad.

P.S. If my parents were growing them, I'd say so. But they weren't. I wish they had been. I loved those pretty little red berries and would have gladly eaten more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care for Palestine Blog

Please read and share my Care for Palestine Blog; PDF Back up of Care for Palestine blog; www.poeticpublications.com/palestine.pdf Care for ...