Monday, January 22, 2024

Stolen Good-bye

My sisters are not allowing a wake for our father. And I feel that being able to say good-by to a loved one, either when they are on their death bed, or at an open casket wake, is a VERY important and needed closure. A wake for my father was especially important for me, because my sisters had built a hostile wall between him and I, in the last year of his life. Due to this, my plan was to go see him at his wake, and do my own private and peaceful good-bye, after everyone else had left, so that it would not raise any issues for me or anyone else. And being deprived of this feels horrible. Right now its one of my deepest sources of grief.
   My sisters say that this is the way my father wanted it. But I feel absolutely certain that my father did NOT want all of his loved ones, except his two oldest daughters and their children, to be deprived of the chance to say good-bye to him, in person. This was my sister's choice, not his. And its just too wrong.
Because I so deeply grieve this stolen good-bye, there is a little consoling voice, deep inside my heart, that says, "someday you will be able to say good-bye, and even another hello, in a place where they cannot interfere." But I still cry. Right now I just so needed to be able to see him and say good-bye to him.

My heart now aches so, while I cry
I've needed so much to say good-bye


Stolen Good-bye
copyright Sharon Rose Poet 1-20-2024

No wake. No closure.
No chance to say good-bye.
How can they be so mean,
Even right after you die?


The Final Door
copyright Sharon Rose Poet 1-20-2024

She can't hurt him,
To hurt me, anymore;
He's passed through
His final door.
She can't use him
To hurt me, anymore;
His death and wake
Were her final door.


Sorely Missed
copyright Sharon Rose Poet 1-20-2024

I don't now miss Dad anymore than before.
I'd already missed him right down to my core.

I missed the meetings they didn't allow
I missed them then and I miss them now.
I missed the welcome. I missed the care.
I miss what never was even there.
I missed his release from her nigh.
I miss being able to say good-bye.



I share more about my father's passing on this page; 
https://sharonrosepoet.blogspot.com/p/my-fathers-death-and-rebirth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care for Palestine Blog

Please read and share my Care for Palestine Blog; PDF Back up of Care for Palestine blog; www.poeticpublications.com/palestine.pdf Care for ...